Saturday, February 9, 2008

Reentry or We're Not in Hawaii Anymore!

Teal and Mr. Teal at Diamond Head with Waikiki Beach in the background.

The past two and and half weeks have been a whirlwind. I returned from Hawaii late on a Wednesday evening, went to work the next morning and it seems as though I've been working ever since. Hawaii was great and the vacation was relaxing and refreshing but we're no longer on vacation nor am I doing much relaxing. Many aspects of my life including my knitting are suffering.

February socks have been a frustrating experience. I selected the Mountain Colors Bearfoot Tamarack yarn DD#1 gave me a year ago. She told me her socks from this yarn were the warmest in her wardrobe so I thought it fitting to make them during the coldest month of the year. My first selection for a pattern was Slipped Stitched Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks and the first sock was complete past the gusset when I decided that there was too much pooling in the gusset area and I didn't really think the pattern and the yarn worked well together.



To the frog pond!

Next I knit a plain stockinette stitch sock leg, first eye of partridge heel and was very happy until again I disliked the pooling in the gusset area.


To the frog pond again!

Desparate measures were necessary and I realized I must learn to make an afterthought heel in order to avoid the dreaded pooling. In addition,I decided to try knitting with two circular needles which I am very much liking. I stuck with stockinette stitch which seemed to display the colors to best advantage althought this go round I'm seeing a spiral pattern I didn't have before. What a difference a few stitches can make. Sock #1 is past the heel and into the foot and I'm hopeful that this pair of socks will be complete soon.



The red yarn is the waste yarn waiting for the afterthought heel. Only question mark at this time is regarding the heel and toe color. I'm thinking I might like a solid for those areas but nothing in my stash is looking good to me and I've resolved not to buy new yarn.

Hat production is going well. I've made three charity hats already this calendar year:



Pattern: Lamb's Pride Hat for Infants and Kids
Yarn:Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted - Iced Jade
Needles: Size 7
Size: Kids



Pattern: Seaman's Cap
Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted - Raspberry
Needles: Sizes 6 & 7
Size: Large


Pattern: The Boy Hat
Yarn: Tahki Donegal Tweed - Color 910
Needles: Size 7

3 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds like a great holiday and back to earth with a bump!

Lots of knitting going on though!

I have added you as a link, hope it's ok. I'm having a blogoversary competition, so come on over and visit!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

SoapDoc said...

Wow, doesn't it hurt when you have to frog THAT much of a sock? I am freaking out that I have had to frog the sock I am working on like six times -- but I had only knit several inches -- no where near the heel!

You're a brave knitter -- I would have put up with the pooling (However, the whole reason I frogged MY sock was because the yarn was NOT pooling!!) if I had gotten that far along!