Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Out of Hibernation

It's been a long winter in Rochester and I've been away from blogging for a long time. I'm still here and I've been knitting. My plans for the year were ambitious and it's a good time to take stock.

I first want to knit at least 12 pairs of socks this year and reduce my sock yarn stash.

To date I've knit 6 pairs of socks and have another two pair on the needles but I've not reduced the stash. Trips to Virginia and Pennsylvania provided opportunities for stash enhancement which I couldn't resist. These lovely pink lace socks were a result of one of these purchases.




The yarn is Reynolds Soft Sea Wool and the pattern is Laced Cuff Socks by Veronik Avery. I enjoyed working with this tightly twisted DK wool which has great stitch definition and look forward to wearing the socks.

In terms of new techniques I've tried knitting on two circulars but really prefer my trusty DPNs. I did try a afterthought heel and will use that technique again.

Second, I will knit at least one charity item each month.

I've knit two pair of children's socks and four adult hats for charity so I'm on track here. (A little double dipping here since the socks also counted toward the sock quota but who's counting.)

Third, I will knit a lace shawl or stole.

No lace shawls or stoles yet but I did jump on the Spring 2008 Knitty band wagon and created a lovely Lace Ribbon Scarf from some gift Seacoast Handpainted Merino Tencel sock yarn.



This scarf has a wonderful sheen and drapes nicely.

Fourth, I want to knit two sweaters for myself this calendar year.

I was unable to sustain momentum on my sweater in progress and it is still in my knitting bag waiting for some attention. I have however completed one sweater but not for me . There will soon be a new addition to our family...granddaughter #1 is due any day now...so I've taken a side track into baby knitting. Today I finished up Daisy in the 0-3 months size . The yarn, Tahki Cotton Classic, was a joy to knit and I'm very pleased with the finished product. Seaming and finishing are still a challenge and this was a good project to practice those skills.


Another baby sweater is on the needles and will appear here soon.

I'm on summer vacation for the next three months and I look forward to knitting, some travel, and appearing here more often.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Ooh, all beautiful but I LOVE the socks. Is that pattern in Favorite Socks?

It's so hard to keep the stash going in the right direction, isn't it?!

Good to hear from you again ...

cheryl said...

I love the baby sweater, was hoping to start seeing baby clothes for the new arrival

cheryl said...

SUCCESS AT LAST! I've been trying to comment since the last comment months ago (you know how hard it is for me not to comment) but couldn't get logged in.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Those socks are beautiful! The magic loop and two circs just don't thrill me, either. And I thought they made such sense, being able to complete two pair at a time, etc. Maybe if I just kept at it, the technique would grow on me.
But I like my dpns...